ISO/IEC 10646:2020 Information technology — Universal coded character set (UCS)
The Unicode Standard is the foundation for all modern software development. It provides a unique code number for every character, no matter what the platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language.
What is ISO/IEC 10646:2020 Information technology — Universal coded character set (UCS)
ISO/IEC 10646:2020, commonly known as UCS, is the international standard for encoding all of the world’s characters.
UCS contains over 110,000 unique code points which cover almost every known character in use today. This includes all of the Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Han ideographs, and most other writing systems in use today.
UCS is constantly being updated to keep up with the changing needs of the global community. The latest version, ISO/IEC 10646:2020, was published in 2020.
UCS provides a unique code point for every character, regardless of how it is used or where it comes from. This allows for consistent representation of characters across platforms and languages.
UCS is an important standard for anyone working with text in any language. It ensures that all characters are represented accurately and consistently, no matter where they are used.
What are the requirements of ISO/IEC 10646:2020
- The standard defines the Universal Coded Character Set (UCS) and gives character code assignments for every character in every script.
- Every character is represented by a unique code point.
- Code points are organized into blocks, which group together related characters.
- The standard also includes guidelines for using UCS characters in various applications, such as computerized typesetting and text messaging.
What are the benefits of ISO/IEC 10646:2020
The benefits of ISO/IEC 10646:2020 include:
Improved compatibility between different character sets
- Increased international marketability of products that use the UCS
- Reduced costs associated with developing, maintaining, and using multiple character sets
- Increased efficiency in information exchange
- Improved interoperability between computer systems
If you would like to get in touch with us here at ISO, you can do so by phone, email, or post. Our contact details are:
We would be happy to answer any questions you have about our products or services. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
If you need more support with ISO/IEC 10646, please contact us at +91-8595603096 or email@example.com